The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within — Walking Unshod
Walking Unshod Self-Awareness

On Self-Sabotage

The Enemy
Within

The moment you realise you've been
the one holding yourself back

There is a particular kind of pain that arrives quietly. Not the pain that someone else inflicts — the sharp, identifiable sting of betrayal or loss. This pain is slower. More disorienting. It comes the moment you look back over your life — the opportunities you did not take, the doors you let close, the version of yourself you kept at arm's length — and you begin to suspect something uncomfortable.

That the obstacle was not out there. It was in here.

I know this feeling personally. Not as an observer, not as someone who has read about it — but as someone who has lived on the wrong side of his own potential for longer than he cares to admit. This piece is not written from a place of having arrived. It is written from a place of having finally, honestly looked back — and seen my own footprints leading away from the very things I said I wanted.

The Camera I Never Bought

For a season of my life, I was a photographer. And I was good at it — good enough that a reputation began to precede me in rooms I had not yet entered. People knew my name before they knew my face. The work was speaking for itself.

But I did not have my own equipment. And in my mind, that was the one thing standing between where I was and where I could be. So I did what felt like the brave thing — I went to my father and laid out my vision. I told him what I believed photography could become for me, what I saw when I looked forward, what I needed to get there.

My father is a good man. Respectable. Traditional in the way that men of his generation often are — practical, measured, shaped by a world where certain paths were safe and certain dreams were indulgences. He did not dismiss me cruelly. He simply could not see photography as a wholesome career. And that was the end of the conversation.

What I did not realise then — what I can only see now with the kind of clarity that comes from distance — is that his response was not the end of the story. It was only the first door. And I let it become the last one.

Someone else's inability to see your potential
is not evidence that the potential isn't there.

Not long after, an offer came. A significant one. An aspiring candidate running for a senate position had heard about my work and wanted me as their photographer. Think about what that meant — not just the money, not just the exposure, but the statement it made about the quality of what I had built with borrowed equipment and borrowed time.

I said no.

Not because I lacked the skill. Not because the opportunity was wrong. But because I did not have my own camera, and I could not bring myself to trust that I could hire the equipment, deliver the job, get paid, and perhaps — just perhaps — walk away with enough capital to finally own my own piece. That chain of events felt too uncertain. Too presumptuous. Too much like believing that things could actually work out for me.

So I opted out. Quietly. Reasonably. And I called it being realistic.

It was only much later that I understood what I had actually done. I had not made a practical decision. I had made a fear decision — dressed up in the language of practicality so I would not have to admit what was really driving it.

The Saboteur You Never Notice

Self-sabotage rarely announces itself. It does not arrive wearing a sign. It disguises itself as wisdom. As caution. As humility. As simply being realistic about what is possible for someone like you.

It sounds like: "I don't have what I need to make this work." It looks like waiting for the perfect conditions that never quite arrive. It looks like approaching the one person who might say no — and then using their no as permission to stop trying. It looks like an opportunity landing in your lap and finding seventeen reasonable-sounding reasons to walk away from it.

I had spent years waiting for something external to change before I could begin. Waiting for equipment. Waiting for my father's blessing. Waiting for a sign from God that this was the right moment — as if the senate photographer invitation had not been sign enough. I had wrapped my self-doubt in the language of faith, telling myself I was simply waiting on divine intervention, when in truth I was using the waiting to protect myself from the possibility of trying and failing.

Self-sabotage is not weakness.
It is a survival strategy that has outlived its usefulness.

At some point — usually early, in an environment you had no power to choose — you learned that wanting things was dangerous. That hoping made you vulnerable. That someone's negative word about your dream was more reliable than your own belief in it. A careless comment, a dismissal from someone whose opinion mattered too much, a door closed by someone who should have opened it — these things leave marks. And the marks teach you to reach less. To expect less. To pre-emptively withdraw before the world gets the chance to say no again.

The saboteur inside you was not your enemy then. It was your guardian. It kept you safe in the only ways it knew how. The tragedy is that it never stopped — long after the danger passed, it kept working, quietly dismantling every ladder you tried to climb, calling it caution, calling it realism, calling it waiting on God.

The Moment You Finally See It

The moment of recognition does not arrive dramatically. It comes more like a slow accumulation — a pattern you cannot un-see once you have seen it. You notice that you always pull back at the same point. That your excuses, though different each time, follow the same shape. That the person standing between you and the life you want has your face.

For me, it came in the quiet aftermath of the senate opportunity. Not immediately — the immediate feeling was relief, the comfortable numbness of having avoided something that scared me. But later, in the kind of honest moment that arrives when everything is quiet and you have nowhere to run, I sat with the question I had been avoiding: What would have happened if I had said yes?

And the honest answer was: I don't know. But I would have tried. And trying — with all its risk and uncertainty — was exactly what I had been engineering my life to avoid.

That moment is not comfortable. It feels like grief, like anger at yourself, like a strange and complicated shame. You want to look away. You want to find someone else to blame — circumstances, timing, a father who didn't understand, a God who didn't move fast enough. And perhaps some of that blame has its place. Life is not always fair, and the support we are given — or denied — at critical moments is real.

But there is a difference between acknowledging what was done to you and using it as the permanent explanation for what you do to yourself. The first is honesty. The second is a cage you have agreed to live in.

You cannot change what happened.
But you are the only one who can change what happens next.

What Lives Underneath the Pattern

Understanding self-sabotage requires going somewhere most people resist going: into the belief system underneath the behaviour.

At the root of almost every act of self-sabotage is a belief about worthiness. A quiet, often unconscious conviction that you do not quite deserve the thing you are reaching for. That you are the kind of person things almost work out for — but not quite. That the big break is for someone else. Someone more prepared, more connected, more certain of themselves.

In my case, the belief sounded something like this: things only truly happen for me when God directly intervenes. On the surface, that sounds like faith. But beneath it was something else — a way of outsourcing responsibility for my own life so that if nothing happened, I could tell myself it simply was not God's timing. It was a form of protection dressed in spiritual language. And it kept me passive at the precise moments that called for courage.

True faith, I have come to understand, is not passive waiting. It is active movement — taking the step that is in front of you and trusting that the ground will hold. The opportunity was placed in my path. The skill was already in my hands. The equipment could have been hired. What was missing was not God's provision. What was missing was my willingness to believe that I was already enough to begin.

The most common faces of self-sabotage:

Waiting for perfect conditions before starting. Using someone's discouragement as permission to stop. Dressing fear up as faith — telling yourself you are waiting on God when you are actually waiting for a guarantee. Letting one person's limited vision become the ceiling on your own. Opting out of opportunities because the path to completion feels uncertain, rather than trusting yourself to figure it out as you go.

None of these patterns are random. Each one is a logical response to an underlying belief. Which means the path forward is not simply about changing your behaviour — it is about going back and questioning the belief that makes the behaviour feel necessary.

What Comes After the Recognition

The moment you realise you have been the one holding yourself back is both devastating and quietly extraordinary. Devastating, because of everything it implies about the past — the opportunities, the moments, the version of your life that could have looked different. Extraordinary, because of what it means for everything still ahead.

If external forces were entirely to blame — circumstance, other people, timing, fate — then you would be powerless. But if some significant part of the story has been written by your own hand, then your own hand can also begin to write it differently. That is not a burden. That is, when you sit with it long enough, an extraordinary kind of freedom.

I am not writing this from the other side of a triumphant turnaround. I am writing it from the middle of the work — the slow, daily, unglamorous work of choosing differently. Of noticing the moment I am about to pull back and asking myself honestly: is this wisdom, or is this fear wearing wisdom's coat?

Some days the answer is clear. Some days it is not. But the asking itself is new. And the asking is everything.

Start there. Not with a complete overhaul of your life. Not with a declaration that from this day forward everything changes. Start with the question. Notice the moment before the withdrawal, before the opt-out, before the quiet settling for less. Name what is happening: "I am about to walk away from this because part of me does not believe I can carry it." That naming alone is a form of power. You cannot change what you refuse to see.

Then, when you are ready — and readiness rarely announces itself, you simply have to move — choose forward. Once. Just once. And then again. The senate offer is gone, and I cannot get it back. But there will be another door. And this time, I intend to open it.

A Final Word

If something in this piece has found you — if you have been reading and quietly recognising yourself in the pattern — I want to say something plainly.

The fact that you can see it is not evidence of your failure. It is evidence of your readiness. People who are not ready to change cannot see the thing that needs changing. The discomfort you are sitting with right now is not punishment. It is an invitation.

Someone may have spoken doubt over you once. A door may have been closed by someone who should have opened it. You may have been waiting — for resources, for permission, for a sign — and watching opportunities pass while you waited. None of that has to be the end of the story.

You were not put here to manage a small, careful life from a safe distance. The talent was real. The reputation was real. The opportunity was real. And the capacity to step into the next one — that is real too. The only person who needs to believe it first, before anyone else does, is you.

Is there an opportunity you walked away from — not because you lacked the ability, but because you did not yet believe you deserved to succeed at it?

I'd like to hear about it. Not because sharing it changes what happened — but because naming it out loud is often the first step toward not doing it again.

Written by Tonny John — exploring the intersections of psychology, self-awareness, and faith at Walking Unshod.

© 2026 Walking Unshod  ·  All rights reserved

Comments