What You Are Still Carrying

What You Are Still Carrying — Walking Unshod
Walking Unshod
Walking Unshod The Release Letting Go · Healing

On Letting Go & Moving Forward

What You Are
Still Carrying

Healing begins when you stop trying
to correct the past and start owning the present

My sister said something to me not long ago that I have not been able to put down since. We were talking — the way siblings sometimes do, without the usual guards fully up — and she looked at me and said, plainly, that I would never fully realise my potential until I let go of the past. That I was hung up on it. That my present would not change until I stopped trying to correct a childhood that should have been, stopped beating myself about a life that ought to have looked different, and started living from what is here now.

I did not argue with her. I think I already knew she was right. But knowing something and being ready to look at it directly are two different things, and I had been choosing the first for a long time while avoiding the second.

When I finally sat with what she said — really sat with it, without deflecting — what I found was not comfortable. I found that I had been holding on to more than I had admitted. Not just the memories of what had happened, but the memories of what should have happened. The parallel life. The version of events in which things went differently, in which certain doors stayed open, in which I had made different choices or been given different circumstances. I had been carrying two pasts — the actual one and the ideal one — and measuring everything in my present against the gap between them.

The Weight We Do Not Name

We talk often about letting go of what happened. That is the familiar language of healing — release the hurt, forgive the wound, stop revisiting the difficult memory. And that work is real and necessary. But there is another weight that gets less attention, and in some ways it is heavier.

It is the grief of what should have happened.

The childhood that should have been more nurturing. The opportunity that should have been taken. The version of yourself that should have emerged by now — more confident, more established, further along — if only certain things had gone differently. This is not just grief about the past. It is grief about a future that was supposed to have arrived by now and hasn't. And it is uniquely disorienting because you are mourning something that never existed — a ghost, a parallel version of your life that has no grave you can visit and no clear moment when it died.

We grieve what happened.
But the heavier grief is for what should have happened
and never did.

What makes this particular weight so difficult to set down is that it feels productive. Holding the ideal version of what should have been feels like standards. Like ambition. Like refusing to accept less than you deserve. And so we dress the grief up as drive, and we carry it forward into every present moment — not as fuel, but as a measuring stick against which the present is perpetually found wanting.

When the Past Contaminates the Present

I began to notice it in the way I made decisions. There was always a negotiation happening underneath the surface — a silent, exhausting attempt to balance the present against the past. To make choices that would somehow compensate for what was missed. To build, in the present, what should have already been built. To recover, through current effort, what earlier circumstances had cost.

Every decision carried that weight. And a decision made to correct the past is almost never made cleanly for the present. It is compromised from the beginning — shaped not by what is actually in front of you but by the ledger you are trying to settle. You are not fully here. You are here and there simultaneously, trying to win something in the present that was lost somewhere in the past, and the split attention means you are not fully available to either.

This is what my sister saw that I could not yet see clearly in myself. Not a person who was failing. A person who was stagnated — held in place by the invisible effort of carrying what was and mourning what should have been, and trying to do both while also trying to move forward. It is impossible to move freely while you are simultaneously looking back and grieving a road you did not take.

You cannot build a future with both hands
if one of them is still reaching back
for what was lost.

Why Letting Go Is Not the Same as Forgetting

When people say let go of the past, the first resistance that arrives is usually this: I cannot pretend it did not happen. I cannot erase what was done or undone. I cannot act as though the missed opportunities and the difficult years and the things that went wrong simply ceased to exist because I have decided to move on.

And that resistance is right. Letting go is not forgetting. It is not the forced amnesia of pretending the past has no relevance to who you are today. The past shaped you — its difficulties included, perhaps especially. The things that went wrong left marks that are part of your story, and a story with its difficult chapters removed is not healing. It is fiction.

What letting go actually means is something more precise and more demanding than forgetting. It means releasing the past from the job of explaining your present. It means deciding that what happened — however real, however formative, however unfair — is no longer the primary lens through which you interpret what is possible for you now. It means stopping the negotiation. Closing the ledger. Not because the debt was not real, but because the attempt to collect it in the present is costing you the very future you are trying to build.

The distinction worth making clearly:

Letting go of the past does not mean it did not matter. It means you have decided it will no longer determine what comes next. The past gets to be true — painful, significant, formative — without getting to be the author of your future. That is not denial. That is the most honest form of freedom available to someone still in the middle of the story.

Healing Begins With Ownership

My sister's challenge to me was not just to release the past. It was to own the present. And those are related but distinct moves. Releasing the past creates space. Owning the present fills it — with intention, with presence, with the willingness to make decisions based on what is actually here rather than what should have been.

Ownership, in this sense, is not about blame. It is not about saying the past was your fault or that the circumstances that shaped you were deserved. It is about something more forward-facing than that. It is about recognising that whatever happened then, the authorship of what happens next belongs to you. Not partially. Not in the moments when things are going well. Fully, uncomfortably, liberatingly yours.

This is where healing actually begins — not in the moment you stop hurting, but in the moment you stop waiting for the past to be different before you allow the present to be full. When you stop trying to retroactively fix a childhood that is over, a decision that cannot be unmade, a version of yourself that you were not yet able to be. When you look at what is here — not what should be here, not what was here, but what is here — and decide to build from it.

I am in the early stages of this. I do not write this from the other side of a completed journey. I write it from the middle of the walk — which is, I think, where the most honest writing happens. I am learning, slowly and imperfectly, to stop measuring my present against the ghost of what should have been. To make decisions that are for this life, this moment, this version of things — not for the settlement of an old account.

It is harder than it sounds. But it is also lighter than what I have been carrying. And I am beginning to understand that the lightness, more than anything else, is what I have been looking for all along.

A Final Word

If you are reading this from somewhere that feels stuck — if your present feels perpetually coloured by something that happened or something that should have happened and didn't — I want you to know that the stagnation is not a character flaw. It is what happens when a person is trying to do something genuinely impossible: move forward while simultaneously trying to recover what was lost behind them.

You cannot do both. Not really. Not with the fullness that either deserves.

The past will not be corrected by what you do in the present. The childhood that should have been will not be retroactively healed by the decisions you make today. The opportunities that were missed cannot be recovered through some careful future arrangement of compensations. The ledger, if you wait for it to balance before you begin, will keep you waiting indefinitely.

What can change is this: the relationship between what happened and what happens next. The past gets to be real. It gets to have shaped you. And then — when you are ready, which may be now, or may be after a little more time — it gets to step back. Out of the driver's seat. Out of the room where decisions are made. Into its rightful place, which is behind you.

Healing begins when you stop blaming your past and start owning your future. Not all at once. Not without difficulty. But begin — from here, from what is, from the life that is actually in front of you rather than the one that should have been.

I am walking this road too. If you need someone to walk it alongside — even in words, even at a distance — that is what this space is for. You do not have to walk it alone.

Is there a version of your life — a should-have-been — that you have been quietly grieving while trying to move forward at the same time?

What would it feel like to set it down? Not forget it. Just — set it down, and walk on without it.

Written by Tonny John — walking unshod through the intersections of psychology, self-awareness, and faith. This is not a blog written from arrival. It is written from the middle of the journey.

© 2026 Walking Unshod  ·  All rights reserved

Comments